I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Candy Makin’!!!

It’s official… the holidays are HERE!  Every year just before Thanksgiving all of the women in our family get together to make our traditional Date-Nut Candy.  It’s a SECRET recipe created by my Great Grandma that has been passed down through my Granny, and then my mom for the past 50+ years.  This is the first time we have made it since Granny’s passing.  We were thinking and talking about her all day.  I have many fond memories of gathering in her kitchen to make our special candy.  I love my Granny!

IMG_4321

Although I’m not at liberty to share exact details of the recipe, I can say that it is a VERY involved process.  It all starts with locating someone with a mature date palm tree willing to sell/give them to us.  Granny usually did this for everyone.  She swore that store-bought dates just wouldn’t work.  Then we have to tend to our palm frond daily, plucking the ripe dates off so they can be peeled, pitted, and ground.  Next comes the chopping, cooking, stirring, pouring, cutting, and wrapping (LOTS of wrapping!).  Even with all of the work involved, this is a tradition that everyone happily participates in because it is just SO good!  All of my sister-in-laws that have married into the family are just as excited to be a part of the candy making. 

IMG_4323

Part of the secret of this recipe is using Granny’s special pot, lovingly referred to by the husbands as the “magical pot”.   We don’t dare to try anything else.

IMG_4310

IMG_4324

IMG_4303IMG_4322

IMG_4308 IMG_4306

IMG_4304 

IMG_4312

The cousins love candy making day, too!

IMG_4316

IMG_4313

IMG_4329

The finished product!  It’s so fun to give something at Christmas time that is unique and special to our family.   I may be partial, but I think it is DELICIOUS!  The kids in my house (hubby included!) can’t get enough.  There’s something about it that just tastes like Christmas.  Bring on the holidays!!!

3 comments:

  1. That is so fun!! Traditions are so great during the holidays and this one looks to be extra special. :) Now I want to try some! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOOh. I remember those last year! So gooood!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Granny was right - store bought dates DO NOT work! Thanks for reminding me that it's time to make my candy. Too bad I don't have access to one of the magical pots up here in Utah. People here have already been asking me if I'm making the candy this year, which is funny because I didn't even make it last year (the reason being again that store bought dates DO NOT work!)

    ReplyDelete